New research released by ecommerce partner Webloyalty has revealed that this year will see increased confidence in the UK’s leisure spending as compared to last year, with 85% of British holidaymakers planning to spend either the same or more on their holidays as they did in 2013.


The study, compiled by retail and leisure research specialists Conlumino, suggests an optimistic outlook for spending in the area of travel and tourism over the course of 2014, with 68% of people planning to take some sort of holiday this year and the average holidaymaker is planning to spend approximately £2,000.


Holidaymakers are feeling more confident than last year about spending on their breaks: while the cautious sentiment of 2013’s holiday habits saw a large number of people choosing to holiday in the UK instead of going abroad in order to save money, the findings of this study signal an increase this year in traveling to different countries for holidays, in place of ‘staycations’ and UK day trips.


Other findings revealed that 24.2% of people took a beach holiday abroad last year – but 26.2% plan on taking one this year, an increase of 2%, and that 15.9% took city breaks abroad in 2013 – but 17.2% will be doing so this year, an increase of 1.3%. Meanwhile, UK-based holidays are on the decrease. Although 24.5% of people opted for UK day trips last year only 20.3% will be taking them in 2014 – a decrease of 4.2%. And while 19.8% of respondents took a ‘staycation’ in 2013, just 16.9% plan on doing so this year – a decrease of 2.9%.


Brits are divided, however, on how to space their holidays out across the year. A small majority of 55.8% prefer to take several short breaks through the year, while the remaining 44.2% will opt for one long two-week break in the summer.


Flights and hotels are some of the items on which people intend to spend more this year – 27.3% say they will spend more on travel and 21.6% say they will spend more on accommodation. Other areas such as clothing, gifts and souvenirs will see less increase in spending, with fewer than one in ten people planning to splash out more on them.

 

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?