Holiday cottages have come a long way from the chintzy and basic bolt holes of yesteryear. More demanding holidaymakers and an appetite for UK breaks have given rise to what South West based Farm and Cottage Holidays is calling the new ‘Super’ Holiday Cottage, the blueprint of which is made of five important factors focusing on connection, entertainment, luxury, good company and a great kitchen.
According to Visit England, 90% of us will be taking a break in the UK this year. This rise in demand, coupled with a general increase in consumer expectations has meant holiday cottages have had to raise the bar in order to attract bookings.
Managing director of Farm and Holiday Cottages, James Morris, said: “Over the 30 years we have been in business we have seen some dramatic changes in the market. We have noticed people now expect to see the same features of a boutique hotel such as Wifi, Hot Tubs, Sky Plus and iPods in their holiday rental. Owners have really stepped up to the mark to ensure that their cottages are offering just this hence the rise of the Super Holiday Cottage.
“Whether you want a cosy bolt hole for two with WIFI and a pub next door or a beachside house with a hot tub with room for two dogs and maybe a pet parrot, it’s now possible to find.”
Having studied recent bookings trends, listened to the demands of its customers and observed changing attitudes over their last 30 years in operation, the operator has defined the five factors that make up the blueprint for the new Super Holiday Cottage.
1. The connection factor - In both the digital and physical sense holidaymakers want to stay connected whether it’s online or in the pub. The operator has seen a 50% rise in the number of properties offering WIFI over the past year. Tech lovers demand to stay online whilst on holiday
2. The entertainment factor - From farm animals to pet, pools to swim in, Sky TV, WIFI and maybe your very own dancing pole, people are demanding properties with lots of options to keep everyone busy.
3. The kitchen factor – Spurred on by a love of cookery shows, country cottages and beachside homes need that killer kitchen with kit such as food processors, coffee machines and juicers as well as the all important dishwasher.
4. The luxury factor – Whether it’s a four poster bed or a hot-tub, properties offering that added pamper factor are the hottest in demand according to the company.
5. The good company factor – From bringing along the extended family, to making room for the dog, the operator has seen a noticeable shift in demand properties offering accommodation for more than eight guests and they offer a choice of 210 in total.
For more information visit www.holidaycottages.co.uk