Tropical Cyclone Yasi crossed the Queensland coast on Wednesday 2 February at Mission Beach near Tully in Tropical North Queensland (half way between Cairns and Townsville).To help you answer any client concerns we have prepared some points below:
· Cairns and the Whitsundays have avoided the worst of the cyclone with very limited damage.
· Townsville, Tully, Mission Beach, Ingham and Innisfail have been damaged to varying degrees.
· Most airports between Mackay and Cairns have opened, or will open tomorrow morning. However, please check with carriers for the most up to date information on flight schedules and airport operations.
· The cyclone continues to weaken – the latest information can be found at www.bom.gov.au/cyclone and the Queensland Holidays website - http://www.queenslandholidays.com.au/travel-info/current-conditions/current-conditions_home.cfm - has cyclone and flood information that will be updated daily.
· Destinations that have not been affected by the cyclone include the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Fraser Coast, Bundaberg, Gladstone, Agnes Water, 1770, Queensland’s Outback, Southern Downs and Granite Belt – all are ready to welcome visitors.
· Brisbane, the Darling Downs and Capricorn region are now recovering from the floods, earlier this month, with most tourism operations open and running normally.