New research from Jetcost.co.uk has revealed that only 8% of British travellers have actually managed to secure a free upgrade for their holiday, with flight upgrades and hotel room upgrades topping the list.

Initially, 2,187 respondents were asked ‘With regards to receiving upgrades on your flights and your holiday, what do you think that you need to qualify to receive one?’

The most common responses were ‘you need to be a frequent flyer’ (29%), ‘you need to know someone who works for the travel agent/airport’ (28%) and ‘you need to be celebrating something, such as a wedding’ (21%).

Respondents were then asked if they had ever requested an upgrade, to which two thirds (67%) confessed that they had, but just a small minority (8%) said that they had received one, whilst the remaining 92% stated that they hadn't been so lucky.

Of those who had received upgrades, the top upgrades to be gifted were ‘flight’ (21%), ‘hotel room’ (16%) and ‘board type e.g. half board, full board, all inclusive’ (9%) upgrades. According to the survey, less than a quarter of those who received an upgrade (23%) stated that they were on their honeymoon, whilst remaining respondents admitted they’d either received an upgrade because they’d made a complaint (29%) or because they had been inconvenienced, such as being asked to get a later flight to accommodate fellow passengers (18%).

Image Source: ssuaphotos via Shutterstock

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?